Cracks & Gaps Need Addressing & Greengates Builders Merchants Accrington, Lancashire Can Help!
This article will be looking at why it is important that we check our concrete paths for cracks.
Over the winter months due to ice, frost and temperature variations contraction and expansion are likely to occur which will result in cracks and gaps being created in concrete paths. Now whilst the weather is still decent we need to check our paths for such cracks and if necessary we need to repair them now in order to prevent them from getting any worse this winter. If we don't make these repairs now then by next year after yet another winter you could be looking at having to replace your path completely. So to keep costs down repair your paths now before you have to replace them completely!
What you will need for the job:
1. A chisel
3. Wire brush
4. Bonding adhesive
7. Sharp sand
The cement used for this repair is a rapid setting cement which is beneficial when there is a need to restore site services quickly. Quickcem castle cement is what is recommended to carryout this job. Castle Quickcem is a Portland cement containing calcium sulfo-aluminate, specially developed to give quick setting and hardening characteristics.
The typical repair method for cracked concrete paths is as follows:
- Chisel out the crack to create a backward-angled cut, using a grinder or cold chisel and a hammer. It is important to clean all dust, dirt and loose materials from the area using a wire brush, or an electric drill with a wire wheel attachment.
- Apply a thin layer of bonding adhesive to the entire repair area using a paint brush. The bonding adhesive helps keep the repair material from loosening or popping out of the crack.
- For repairing a narrow crack, typically prepare a 1:3 (cement: sharp sand by volume) mix, then trowel it into the crack.
- For a wider gap, prepare a 1:2:4 (cement: sharp sand: chippings by volume mix) and apply.
- A useful guide is to use a maximum aggregate size of one third the crack width.
- Smooth the surface of the repair and attempt to match the surrounding surface texture.
Contact Greengates Builders Merchants Accrington, Lancashire today to get the items you require!