Do You Have A Mould Problem?
Every dwelling, irrespective of its construction, contains within its fabric mould spores which are dormant and completely harmless. However, given the right conditions these spores will germinate resulting in extensive growths of disfiguring black mould (Aspergillus Niger).
Mould needs very little nutrient and will grow on walls and ceilings irrespective of the decorative finish. Mould spores will also spread into the air which can be a serious health risk, and give off an obnoxious musty smell. Clothes, furnishings and carpets can also be destroyed by unsightly mould.
Mould in the home arises from dampness, predominantly caused by condensation. However, a small proportion of problems occur due to other forms of dampness - rising damp, penetrating damp, bursts and leaks. The incidence of condensation in domestic dwellings has increased tenfold in the last decade and is attributable to various factors - lack of heating - inadequate ventilation - use of paraffin and LPG heaters. The modernisation of properties, making homes virtually airtight and draught free with new windows and the removal of open fires, is an additional contributory factor.
THE HEALTH RISK
Mould in houses, even a small concentration, can be a health risk which may result is asthma and other respiratory diseases. Mould also attacks foodstuff resulting in a risk of food poisoning, Environmental Health Professional Practice - Mould Fungal Spores 1985 refers. The British Medical Journal report, Damp Housing, Mould Growth and Symptomatic Health State 24/6/89,confirms that active spores. Even in small concentrations, are detrimental to the well being of adults and children.
Mould can be eradicated. To find out more read our news articles all next week!
To find out more read our news articles all next week!