Do You Know The Dangers Of Asbestos?
Do You Know About The Risks Of Asbestos?
Asbestos-related disease accounts for around 4000 deaths a year. Asbestos-related disease is the biggest single cause of work-related deaths in Great Britain. More people die as a result of exposure to asbestos than in road accidents.
The Hidden Killer asbestos campaign was first launched in October 2008. The campaign succeeded in raising awareness of asbestos risks - 8 out of 10 tradesmen were aware of the adverts and 71% said they had or planned to take further precautions.
Asbestos can be found in:
- Asbestos cement products,
- Textured coatings
- Floor tiles, textiles and composites,
- Sprayed coatings on ceilings, walls and beams/columns,
- Asbestos insulating board,
- Loose asbestos in ceiling or floor cavity.
There are four main diseases caused by asbestos:
- Mesothelioma: which is always fatal,
- Lung cancer: almost always fatal,
- Asbestosis: not always fatal, but it can be very debilitating,
- Diffuse pleural thickening: not fatal.
Remember, these diseases will not affect you immediately but later on in life, so there is a need for you to protect yourself now to prevent you contracting an asbestos-related disease in the future. It is also important to remember that people who smoke and are also exposed to asbestos fibres are at a much greater risk of developing lung cancer.
Don’t forget about this silent killer, take precautions
Greengates Builders Merchants, Lancashire hopes this has reminded you of the dangers from asbestos and encourages you to keep safe.