Paving can completely transform both the aesthetic and practical value of an outdoor space. Here at Greengate's, your local builders merchant, we offer access to a wide range of paving solutions along with all of the required ancillaries. Check out our step by step guide to laying paving successfully.
Laying paving slabs onto a sand and gravel base is the most cost-effective way to proceed and has the added benefits of effective drainage and allowing stones to be easily lifted and relaid if required.
- Check your Levels. You're going to need around 150mm for your sand and gravel. Take into consideration the thickness of the paving slab itself.
- Fill with Gravel. Making sure the level remains consistent, lay around 100mm of crushed gravel of high quality, available from our website. Put edging into place, setting the final level by spreading even with a rake. Tamp it down until the base is firm.
- Lay Landscaping Fabric. This is an essential step to prevent weeds growing up through the slabs as well as stopping sand sifting through the gravel. The material also helps to keep paving from becoming uneven and improves drainage. Weed Check Ultra, available from Greengate's, is the ideal material for this purpose. Make sure the fabric is secure along the edges with no gaps and leave about 200mm extra around the area: this will be trimmed off before finishing.
- Put Down Sand. Spread the sand to a depth of 50mm over the fabric, tamping it down as you go. If settling is an issue, wet the sand a little. It is important to use high-quality sand so buy from Greengate's for guaranteed quality.
- Lay the Slabs. Start in one corner, continually checking levels as you go with a spirit level. Add more sand beneath if necessary and tap the stone gently into place.
- Complete with Pointing. After the slabs have settled (which can take between one and three days depending on weather), use a sand and cement mixture to point the gaps between stones. When the joints have set, it's time to enjoy your new paved area!
Find all the products you need here on our website.