Here at Greengates Builders Merchants, Lancashire we stock Xtratherm Thin-R insulation. Xtratherm Thin-R is foil faced polyisocyanurate (PIR) insulation board suitable for use in floors, walls and roofs.
Polyiso is formed by a blowing process which generates a rigid foam composed of fine, gas filled bubbles: it is those bubbles which give polyiso its superb insulating capability which is manufactured under ISO9001 assured quality system.
Virtually all building elements can be insulated with polyiso; concrete slab, beam and block or timber floors, masonry or timber framed walls, flat and pitched roofs.
- The high performance of Xtratherm Polyiso allows designers to create structures which are more energy efficient.
- Allows for the design of thinner structures: Wall cavity insulated with Polyiso may be 50mm thinner than one insulated with mineral wool.
- Using Polyiso to insulate pitched roofs at rafter line reduces the load on the fixings restraining the counter battens.
How good an insulant is Polyiso?
There are three ways in which heat is lost from buildings:
- Conduction through materials,
- Convection by air movement
- Radiation across cavities.
Xtratherm Polyiso helps tackle each one of these.
Conduction: the thermal conductivity of Xtratherm Polyiso is among the lowest for commonly available insulation boards. The performance comes from the Pentane blowing agent trapped within the foam. Pentane has good insulating properties. Long term performance is ensured by the foil facings which are gas tight.
Convection: Xtratherm Polyiso boards are manufactured to strict dimensional tolerances, enabling the boards to be fitted tightly together. That reduces air leakage through the construction and associated heat losses through convection.
Radiation: gas tight aluminium facings form a low emissivity surface which, when facing a cavity reduces the heat loss through radiation, cutting the overall rate of heat loss.
At Greengates Builders Merchants, Lancashire we stock:
- Xtratherm Rigid Insulation Sheets 2400mm x 1200mm in 25mm, 50mm, 75mm and 100mm thicknesses.
- Xtratherm Rigid Cavity Sheet Packs (4.86m² per pack) 1200mm x 450mm in 40mm, 50mm and 60mm thicknesses.
- Plus more thicknesses to order.
So Contact Us Now To Hear More!