Laying a Paved Patio Step-by-Step
With the summer here and lockdown restrictions lifted, it's time to celebrate! Many people will want to welcome friends and family to their home and garden and installing a paved patio area can provide you with a practical and attractive way to do just that. In this edition of the Greengate's blog, we'll give you a step-by-step guide on how to create a beautiful and robust paved patio using products from our extensive portfolio.
- The first step is to choose paving slabs. Here at Greengate's, your local builders merchant, we have an excellent range to choose from. There are many different textures and colours available and each slab is guaranteed to be of superlative quality.
- Measure and mark out your desired patio area. Dig out to a depth of approximately 15cm across the entire area, ensuring that all of the soil is compacted evenly.
- Tip an adequate amount of sub-base aggregate into the area you have dug out. Rake the aggregate so that it is firm, smooth and flat at a consistent depth of around 10cm.
- To prevent any weeds growing up through the finished paved patio, install a layer of Weed Check Ultra, closely following the provided instructions. Weed Check Ultra is available to purchase from our website.
- Using one part cement to three parts sand, prepare a concrete mixture. The water should be added gradually until a dough-like consistency is achieved. You can check that the mixture is of the correct consistency by taking a small piece in your hand and shaping it into a ball. Upon releasing pressure on the ball, it should retain its shape without oozing water or falling apart. Use the concrete to make an even layer of around 4cm in depth in the patio bed.
- The paving slabs should be dampened so that they do not cause the concrete to quickly dry. Place the first slab into position before tapping with a rubber mallet to secure it in place. Repeat with the remaining slabs, leaving gaps of around 1.5cm.
- Spray the entire area with water and leave to set for at least 24 hours.
- Use a trowel to fill gaps between slabs with Sika Fastfix. Make sure that no residue is left on slab surfaces.
- Use Everbuild Path and Patio Sealer to seal the area, protecting it from the elements.
- Finish by digging a shallow gutter around the new patio's perimeter and filling with your choice of our beautiful decorative aggregates.
Et voila! You now have a practical, beautiful paved patio to enjoy with friends and family. Have a good summer!